Monday, May 2, 2011

Best Coolest: Lauren Oppenlander

1. Outside of school and your comics, have you written any fiction or non-fiction? Do you like to read prose fiction or non-fiction?

Not really, when I write fiction and non-fiction it's usually outlining/documenting an event. Singular. I love to read prose fiction. And the non-fiction I enjoy needs to either be set up as a narrative or create a tangible person. By that I mean there are biographies that are a list of events, and then there are biographies that you finish and think "I feel like I know them!"

2. Would you say you have a good awareness of the history of American comics?

No. That's why I'm taking this class. I've seen documentaries following the Superman and Batman evolutions from creation to present day. Most of my knowledge about comic characters stems from cartoons and movies based on them. Which is why I didn't know about Iron Man until the recent movie came out, and why my only association to Sand Man was the Spiderman villain.

3. Off the top of your head, could you name 5 artists who worked in comics before 1980? Do you have a favorite?

Negatory.

4. Could you name 5 artists who work or worked in newspaper comics?

Bill Watterson (calvin and hobbs), Darby Conley (Get Fuzzy), Gary Larson (The far side), Dan Piraro (bizarro), Charles Shultz (Peanuts) and Jerry Van-something-or-other does Ballard Street (Van Amerongen). 6 BABY!

5. Could you name any contemporary cartoonists from Europe? Do you have a favorite?

Nope.

6. Could you name any contemporary manga artists from Japan? Do you have a favorite?

Negatory.

7. Do you read European comics?

I don't think I even know any European comics...WAIT. The guys who did Monster Allergy, W.I.T.C.H. and Sky Doll...they're French I think (Wrong, they're Italian). I've read those. Well, only the first Sky Doll. And...I think Three Shadows is French as well. So...I've read some French ones.

8. Do you read any manga?

Uh. I've read the first 2 or 3 Naruto books. So. No. Not really.

9. Do you regularly draw in a sketchbook or write in a journal?

Yes! Bring it! My first "Yes" is on question 9!

10. Would you say you have a good working ability to drawing with brush and ink? If so, how long have you used a brush? What types?

I've used a couple of brush pens before, and I like them a lot. But I've never used a brush and a bottle of ink. Sounds cool though.

11. Which magazines or websites do you regularly read in order to get comics news?

None. I get all my comic information from friends. Though I do like online comics.

12. Which magazines or websites do you regularly read in order to get news of current events?

BBC and LA Times online, Newsweek and Time magazine. And by regularly I assume you mean every month or so (for the magazines at least)

13. Do you go to comic book conventions or festivals? If so--which ones?

No, but I'd I wouldn't be opposed to it.

14. Have you ever sat through a portfolio review with a professional editor? If so, could you briefly sum up their message for you?

No. But they'd probably tell me I suck and should look into a career of selling shoes at Sears.

15. Have you ever had your work published? If so, where?

Nein.

16. How long have you been drawing?

Uh, since I was a kid. Parents do that, give drawing utensils to small children who don't know what to do with them yet. And I was no exception.

17. Do you like to go to museums? Do you have any favorite "fine" artists, either living or dead? Film directors?

Yes! I love museums! Art, Science, History, bring 'em on! One of my favorites has always been Pablo Picasso--especially his blue period. I'm not really sure why. And I also love Sargent. I don't know his first name. But he has a painting in the MOA. OH! AND NORMAN ROCKWELL. I have a book that has all his Saturday Evening Post covers.

18. Would you think it could be useful or beneficial to watch a film or films as a group and discuss it afterwards as it may relate to comics? Do you have a recommendation for such a film?

Yes, Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

19. What ethnographic background do you have and how confident are you in acting as an expert of resource of that background?

I've got you covered for North Orange County, California. Lived there all my life.

20. What comic or book or movie have you read/seen at least 5 times? And 10 times?

Movies (5-ish): Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Canadian Bacon, Iron Man, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Kung Fu Panda

Movies (10-ish): Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 101 Dalmatians, Little Mermaid,

Books(less than 10): The Dragonback series starting with Dragon and Thief, The Book of Mormon, The Bible (Beginning until Ruth, Book of Job, The Four Gospels), Harry Potter Series.

2 comments: